INGREDIENTS: 6 rashers of smoked streaky bacon, snipped into lardons, 400g diced lamb, A drizzle of olive oil, Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, ½ celeriac, 3 parsnips or ½ swede, peeled and finely diced, 2 onions, finely chopped, 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped, 1 tbsp brown sugar or honey, 3 tbsp tomato puree, 400g tin of tomatoes, 300ml red wine, 400g butter beans
1) Preheat oven to 160°C/Gas Mark 3.
2) Heat an ovenproof casserole dish over a high heat. Add your bacon lardons and cook over a medium-high heat until they start to crisp up. Add the lamb to the pot along with the pepper and a drizzle of oil if needed.
3) Cook the lamb until it’s starts to brown. Add in the diced root vegetables and onions. Cook until softened slightly.
4) Add the garlic and brown sugar. As the sugar dissolves, it’ll create a sticky, golden glaze over everything.
5) Once there’s a really nice colour add in the tomato puree. Cook for a minute, reducing it down further. Add in the tinned tomatoes and the red wine.
6) Finally add the butter beans into the pot. Put the lid on and place it into the oven.
7) Cook for 2½ hours or until the lamb is tender. Check on it every 30 minutes or so, giving it a stir and adding a little water as needed.